Wednesday, November 11, 2015

An Update


Hello, everyone. It's Conner here. Yes, 562 days later (I looked up that date difference all by myself), Bottom Feeder finally has another post, though it's not in the form of a spotlight, it's in the form of an update. It has become clear to me that an explanation is needed for our negligence over the past year and a half, and so I've taken it upon myself to deliver one.

I think we're all still reeling from the death of Christopher Roller, and I don't know when that will change. This isn't an excuse, it's an explanation. When I first concluded that he had finally, finally passed away, it hit me like a diamond sledgehammer. It didn't seem fair. How could this man who had given so much to his craft be gone so suddenly, so forcefully? This shock is almost certainly what caused us at Bottom Feeder to discontinue posting spotlights.

The good news is I'm ready to get back on the bandwagon. Hopefully my fellow compatriot and close friend, Christian Moulaison, can find it in his heart to do the same, for I feel truly sorry for what we've done to the community without so much as a warning or explanation. But now I will continue to do what I do best: YouTuber spotlights, and Christian has and always will have a spot open for his artist spotlights. I only hope that we can at some point get back to where we used to be all those months ago, smooth sailing.

The warning signs had been there for a while. With videos like HealthUpdate and HeavenWeed MyWorld PrepareYourself, I should have seen it coming; but the harsh truth is that I simply didn't. His physical and mental health was failing, but he still seemed invincible, even immortal. I can only take solace in the fact that he subscribed to that convenient fabrication just as readily as I did.


Despite his deteriorating health, he continued to pump out videos at his normal rate, including the instant classics DootDoot 2 and GodsOfWar DefLeppard 2, and frankly, it was inspiring. However, it soon became clear to many, if not myself, that he couldn't keep this [life] up for long. The end was finally marked by the hauntingly coincidental juxtaposition of ImAlive, the last video RockAndRollerBand ever uploaded.


The video is marked with a comment by one Cathy Roller, presumably a beloved family member, reading simply, "Recorded and published the day after I left. First viewed the evening of the 19th."

Recorded and published the day after I left. First viewed the evening of the 19th.

Perhaps it's the clinical way in which she relays the information, but this comment has always struck me as both the most beautiful and the most heartbreaking display of affection ever put to text. It's a real drag, really. He was fresh, new talent that never got the recognition he deserved. One can only imagine how much he yearned for that recognition, and how it must have felt to take that yearning to his grave. Hopefully the RockAndRoller in the sky takes solace in the fact that he was not ignored by all, for he had the love and support of Cathy Roller and the team here at Bottom Feeder. Though you are no longer with us, Christopher Roller, you will never be gone.

Recorded and published the day after I left. First Viewed the evening of the 19th.

Click here to view the original spotlight I wrote for this under appreciated YouTuber.

No comments:

Post a Comment